BreaCan’s Bridge of Support
Over the years, many women have told us that they wished they had known about BreaCan when they were diagnosed and going through treatment. Because of this we have established the Bridge of Support program at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Each week a BreaCan staff member and peer support volunteer is available at the hospital to support and assist women as they wait for their appointment or treatment. Being at the hospital has meant that we can bring our unique brand of supportive care to you. Many partners and family members have found the chance to discuss their situation valuable as they wait alongside their loved one.
We are hoping to expand the service to other hospitals in the future.
If you are currently receiving treatment at the Royal Melbourne, you can call our mobile 0457 029 792 to find out when we are available.
Support for Regional and Rural Areas
Did you know that BreaCan can come to you? Many women have told us that coming into the city is difficult. As a statewide service we are finding ways to make accessing our support and information easy, including:
- Hosting a series of rural and regional forums throughout the year. Keep an eye on our event listings to see when there maybe one in your area
- Recording information sessions and making them available in podcast and CD format
- The online library – you can search our library and request a book, CD or DVD be sent out to you
- Using our 1300 781 500 number to connect to a peer support volunteer for the cost of a local call
- Video Call or Voice Call us via Skype – If you don’t have an account you can find out more at the Skype website
We know that more and more women are turning to the internet for information and support. It’s very exciting that some of our session are offered as webinars. So, if you can’t make it into the Resource Centre in Melbourne, you can link in to selected information sessions via the internet with a computer or iPad/tablet. Sessions that will be broadcast as webinars are flagged with this symbol:
You can also access some of our information sessions online via the podcast page of the website.